Sunday, February 8, 2009

Are You Afraid to Quit Your Addiction?

When you think of quitting your addiction, I bet many fears come to the surface: what will I do with all the spare time I will now have? Or how will I handle life’s problems without my addiction? And what if I try to quit then go back to it later and feel like a total failure?

I was lucky, I guess you could call it, by knowing on Day 1 that I wasn’t going to drink ever again. The decision was made on that morning over 21 years ago by me. And looking back, I’m so glad for my sanity that I made that decision. I knew how my mind worked---very obsessive---and if I didn’t decide on that day to quit for good, my thoughts would have tried to get me to go back to drinking forever. That’s how it is with addictions---the mind plays games with you (haven’t you noticed)?

So get the fear out of your life. How? You have to find out for yourself what works for you, whether it's God, Spirituality, classes, therapy---something will work. For me it was as easy as declaring what I wanted. I wanted to not EVER want alcohol again so I could live my life without all those thoughts trying to get me to drink. I wanted more peace in my life.

Try it for yourself. Let me know how you're doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home