Monday, January 19, 2009

8 Years Ago Today I Smoked My Last Cigarette

I didn't even know it at the time that it would be my last, but it was.

I had one of the worst colds in my life for 5 days and couldn't smoke. Normally I wouldn't let anything get in the way of me smoking, even if I was sick. So for me not to smoke for 5 days---let me just say my cold was bad!

But on day 5 of me not smoking, I was a bit ticked off at work because the supervisor was getting to me and I told myself that I would treat myself to a smoke after work because "I deserved it!" I was looking forward to it---a lot!

I got home, grabbed my pack of cigarettes and my lighter and headed outside to have my long-awaited cigarette. I took the first puff. It was terrible! With my cold and not having had a cigarette for 5 days it felt like I was smoking my first cigarette, which as people who smoke know, the first cigarette doesn't taste good at all (but you stick with it until smoking becomes enjoyable).

I forced myself to continue. Each puff seemed worse until about the 5th puff. I was becoming nauseous. I had to stop for the day. I threw the rest of the cigarette into the ashtray. Little did I know then that it would be my last cigarette.

I'm glad I didn't have that much time to think about it either, because if I did, I probably would have been able to tell myself that "it's not a good time to quit. I'll quit at another time. Things are too stressful at work."

I never thought I'd become a non-smoker. But I am, and I have to say...that the freedom from tobacco is wonderful. I don't have to plan when and where I can smoke, buy them at the ridiculously high price they are and my lungs are clear. I can take a full, deep breath now.

I smoked for 28 years, have quit for 8 and know that I will never go back. I don't even think of cigarettes anymore. But they sure can smell good sometime....still.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home