Sunday, January 4, 2009

Making the Decision to Quit

If you keep going back and forth trying to decide if it's really going to work this time if you say you want to quit your addiction, I'll give you some advice that I know to be true, and has worked for me.

Adamantly declare "I am going to quit my addiction this time and I'm not going back to it." Isn't it a much stronger statement than something like "I'm going to try to quit and hope it works?" I see so many people saying the latter, when in fact, we need to speak strong statements.

And once you make the decision to quit something else happens. The path will seem easier because you've made the decision to quit. If you truly decided to quit, then all of the help will "magically" seem to be there for you. Your mind won't constantly ask itself if you are really going to quit or not---you've made the decision.

Oh, sure, there will be times when things seems tough but you'll get through it. I remember when I quit drinking 21 years ago. I thought my whole life would be a cake walk from then on because I'd quit drinking. Then about 3 months later I found myelf crying for seemingly no reason. In the past I would have picked up a drink if I was upset. Now I didn't have that option. So what did I do? I cried as much as I neeeded to.

So make the decision to quit and see how it may not be as difficult as you thought it would be. And if life DOES get difficult, you'll soon realize that going back to your addiction will actually only exacerbate the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home