Sunday, January 11, 2009

Don't Waste Your Life

People are addicted for many reasons. Some say they're addicted because their parents didn't love them. Others may have had something horrible happen to them or someone in their family and blame that event for their addiction.

Some people identify who they are from the past. I've known people in my life who think they have a good excuse to drink or use drugs because "I didn't have a good childhood." OK. They may not have had a good childhood but being addicted because of the bad childhood will only exacerbate the problem. I had a great childhood, but my early teens weren't wonderful for me. Should I blame that fact and have a reason to ruin my life with addictions because of it? Does that solve the problem? Not at all.

Many spend years in therapy because their life didn't turn out the way it should have. What's done is done! You can't change the past. If you're drinking, using drugs, smoking---whatever the addiction is---to try and somehow alleviate the pain of the past, it will NOT work. You're wasting your life. You're stuck in the past. You're not moving forward.

We all have one life on this earth to live. When it's over, it's done--that's it. Do you want to live life wishing "if only" all your life? and being addicted because life wasn't fair? Or do you want to accept the past, quit your addictions and live the life you have left?

I choose the latter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home