Saturday, December 27, 2008

Don't Give Into Your Addiction Just Because "You Want It"

Every day you may have the desire to start using drugs again, start drinking, start eating crap---but those are only thoughts you have. You don't have to give into them. It seems like these days if we have a feeling or thought we think we have to give into that feeling. We don't. And if you don't give in to the thoughts that your mind is telling you (and most are lies anyway) you will come out a stronger person for it too.

I'll share with you my story about this topic regarding food. When I was really addicted to food, starting when I was 12 years old, I used to eat non-stop on many days. Then when I learned how to "diet" I would either wake up and "diet" all day or eat whatever I wanted to all day. There was never a happy medium because my mind told me diet or eat. Did it work? No. In fact I gained 90 pounds in 4 years. If I only had realized then that I didn't have to eat just because I had the thoughts to eat I may not have been so out of control. And being out of control is a horrible place to be in. I remember how terrible I felt truly believing that I had no control.

Looking back today, I sure did have control over my life. But nobody told me I did. I probably wouldn't have believed anyone anyway at the time, being so young. But having gone through it I can share my experiences with you and tell you that you do NOT have to give into your thoughts telling you that you have to go back to your addictions.

Isn't that a great thought? Maybe you didn't know that. Sounds simple but maybe you need to watch your thought process more to see how when your thoughts tell you to drink, eat, smoke---whatever---you can firmly and calmly say No! Those are just thoughts. I have control. Then after awhile those thoughts fade because they don't have power in your life.

Try it.....and let me know how you're doing.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home