Saturday, November 29, 2008

There's Power in Words

I’m sure you hear people saying sometimes “I’m a child of an alcoholic” or “I’m an abuse survivor” or “I’m an addict.”

People want to identify with something and many times they pick a phrase which, I believe, isn’t positive especially if the person is quitting and addiction. For myself, when I quit drinking I never said to anyone that I was an alcoholic. I figured I was done with the alcohol and I was moving on (and yes, I do know I'm an alcoholic). If I had gone to meetings every day and had to say “I’m Linda and I’m an alcoholic”, I would have thought the words negative, even if they were true.

Don’t get me wrong. I have no problem with A.A. and groups like A.A., but I know how powerful words are. If you constantly say you’re an alcoholic you may have a problem with putting down the bottle for good because you keep saying that you’re an alcoholic, and alcoholics drinks.

If you quit an addiction, or you’re the daughter or son of an alcoholic, say it, then move on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home