Sunday, August 2, 2009

I Watched an Overweight Woman Crossing the Street...

last week on my way to work. It seemed she was carrying some sort of a coffee cake, wrapped in saran wrap, along with a back-pack. She must have been at least 100 pounds overweight. It was a struggle for her to even walk. I sat there at the light wondering what thoughts might be going around in her head.

I felt compassion for this woman. I don't know if she's given up on herself, or maybe the cake she was holding wasn't for her at all! For all I know she could be giving the cake to someone because she's decided to lose her weight this time for good.

So we don't know what people are thinking. I do know she didn't look happy, but how can you when you're carrying around so much extra weight. Sometimes when I bring in my grocery bags which must weigh at least 10-15 pounds, I'm very aware of how that weight would make my life so difficult if it was on me---if I had to lug around an extra 50 pounds (I did years ago) every day.

The memories started to come back to me of me being fat while watching this woman for the 20 seconds I watched her (she didn't see me watching her). I'm just so grateful that I dropped those pounds and can feel a lightness about me all the time. It definitely makes a difference in the way I perceive everything in my life. I've written may times over the years of this fact: I couldn't be happy and joyful if I were still fat. I personally couldn't. But the good news is for overweight people is that they can lose weight, but it takes dedication and committment.

One little shift in someone's mind who is overweight can start the process of losing weight immediately. It happened to me, and I've seen it happen to many over the years.

That's good news....

2 Comments:

At August 3, 2009 at 7:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's painful when you cant make people accept they have the power to make good things for themselves..reading your post made me think of a dear friend of mine who is overwight and there's nothing I can do to help...the choice is always with the one who suffers...

 
At August 5, 2009 at 12:44 PM , Anonymous Linda said...

I think it's wonderful to support someone like you friend and give them real examples of people who have lost weight. Sometimes people get that "aha" moment (I did) when they realize "hey, I can do that too."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home