Sunday, June 28, 2009

Not Ready to Quit Yet?

I have a friend whose husband is an alcoholic. She told me recently her husband was hoping to speak with me about alcohol, knowing I'd been off alcohol for almost 22 years. I said yes, and he called a few days later.

We talked for about 15 minutes. He said he always had several drinks when he got home from work at night, and said he was afraid that he would miss it terribly. I told him he might in the beginning but that it was important to---right away, day 1---start doing things differently. Come home and immediately take a walk or get on the treadmill. I told him that I thought doing something physical was important.

Before we hung up he asked me if he could call again soon and talk to me. I said yes. A few days later his wife emailed me and said that her husband was drinking and it looked as if he wasn't going to give up alcohol just yet.

I explained that this is typical---someone will reach out, then go back to the addiction. Again, they will reach out to someone who can help them, get some good information on how to help quit the addiction, then go back to the addiction. But many times the 3rd or 4th time is "the time" when he or she absolutely quits for good.

It's just not his time yet. Is it yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home