Monday, November 10, 2008

Don't Wait for "The Best Time" To Quit

I was watching something on television last night and the man was a drug addict. He knew he had to quit but he said it wasn't time yet. He didn't know why he was so full of rage all the time but he knew he had to figure that out first, before he quit his drugs.

I know this sounds right to most people. I used to think it too. But for myself, I had been drinking heavily for 12 years and I used to believe that if I figured out the reason WHY I drank, then I would be able to let go of alcohol easily. That's not how it turned out for me.

On the day I quit drinking, I knew I was done with drinking. I realized I may or I may not figure out why I drank, but it really didn't matter anyway even if I didn't because I was through with drinking.

So waiting for the right time might just be another excuse for not taking responsibility for quitting your addiction----now!

3 Comments:

At November 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM , Blogger rasama said...

i appreciate your blogs. that you share from your own journey. my experience with addiction is being with the addict, not fighting the addiction. i think the more we share, communicate and help one another from both sides of this coin, the sooner people will come to a place of sobriety...

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's interesting that you say your experience is being with the addict. It seems sometimes that is as difficult as the person going through the addiction, isn't it?

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:50 PM , Blogger rasama said...

a long time ago when i saw the addiction of my father alcoholism, i decided NOT to do the same with the realization it could happen with substance at any time if i weren't careful. along the way i seemed to be a magnet for addicts with friends, love, etc. when you love an addict, their pain and grief becomes your own. you see a light and hold it up in hopes that they too will find their way out. at times when they are at a dark and hellish point that is also what i have walked through. only not by choice.. it's a delicate balance the addict and one who is not...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home