Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Exercise Helps When You're Quitting an Addiction

When I quit drinking 21 years ago one of the first changes I made in my life was that I started exercising. I think I started the first week i quit. I would get home from work and get my jeans and tennis shoes on and be out the door in 5 minutes. I used to have a drink in my hand 5 minutes after I got home so I didn't want to hang around the apartment at all. I just didn't want the old "alcohol" thoughts to come and try to nudge me to drink again. I knew I wouldn't drink, but I wanted to get right into a new routine.

I'd walk for about 1.5 miles every night for several months then I started working out at the gym and have been a member for over 20 years. I go to the gym on the average of 5 times a week now. I just love the feeling of getting the endorphines flowing. I'll always exercise. In my opinion, exercise is something healthy you can do for yourself and you just feel better, sleep better and it gives your face a nice color too! When you're doing healthy things for yourself, your mind starts thinking of health, rather than addictions. That's what happened for me anyway....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home