Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Replacing An Addiction with God

I was watching Joyce Meyer this morning. I like the way she gives her talks---she's bold and just says it the way it is. Today we saw the story of a man in England who drank a lot, didn't have religion or God in his life and one day went to a Joyce Meyer conference with his wife. When Joyce asked anyone who wanted to give their life to Christ to go down in the front by her on stage, he and his wife got up and walked to the front of the stage.

This man said he "knew" that THAT was the day things would change for him. He started drinking less every day then after 2 months quit drinking completely. And when Joyce Meyer was talking about this man she said "he replaced his addictin with God." She also said that people try filling that void that only God can fill with drugs, alcohol, sex....and I remember back to when I was drinking heavily, and eating compulsively and smoking a lot. I DID have a void I was trying to fill. Until I became spiritual and realized there was something bigger than myself I had a tremendous void.

Now when I feel that void I stop and realize it's because I haven't prayed lately or spent time with God because I've been too busy or whatever excuse I have.

Having God in your life doesn't guarantee you won't have an addiction of course, but I think it's the best way to get over an addiction when you know it's time to drop it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home