Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In the Days When I Used to Drink a Lot.....

there was a radio show (KLOS) that I loved listening to but it was on at odd hours---Sunday morning from 5-9 am (not that bad) and early Monday morning from 1:00 - 5:30 am (bad!). The host Michael Benner is a spiritual man who talked about God, spirituality and living in peace on this planet.

On the nights I didn't drink I would enjoy listening. I always felt happy that I had abstained from alcohol so I could listen to the show (in those days there weren't podcasts to listen to the show later). But that was only maybe half the time. The other half of the time I was too hungover to get up and listen to the show. On those days I felt hopeless---hopeless that again, I couldn't turn down drinks so I could listen to the radio show and better myself.

I wrote about this in my book and emailed Michael about a year ago telling him that he inspired me and that I had included me listening to him on the radio in my book. He used to say all the time "If we only knew how powerful we were." I guess it stuck and on the day I quit drinking those words came to me throughout the entire day. I didn't ask for them, they just stayed with me all day. But I changed the "we" to "I" and said to myself....."If I knew how powerful I was....I could stop drinking for good." And I did.

We emailed recently and I sent him a copy of the book a few days ago. I told him how he inspired me and he thanked me for sending him the book. I love happy endings!

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Michael Crosby said...

I used to listen to Michael over 30 years ago. He must be an old guy now.

Those were magical nights listening to him.

Since then, my politics have changed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home