Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why Is It So Hard to Quit My Addiction?

Is this a question you ask yourself a lot? Why can't it just be easy like so many other things I do in my life?

I remember those thoughts too, especially with my weight issue years ago. I couldn't understand how I seemed to be almost overtaken by my thoughts to where I believed I didn't have any say as to whether or not I picked up a Twinkie or candy bar. I really believed I couldn't stop myself from eating that junk.

But looking back I see that I didn't have the will to say "No!" then. I was a kid. I didn't know that I had the ability to run my life. You get wiser with age, they say, and that's a good example of it.

So what is the message here? I think it's that you have to realize that the mind will do what the mind does---go all over the place---telling you you can or can't do things. It's up to you, not your mind, how your life turns out.

So I urge you to watch your thoughts regarding addiction and see what your mind is telling you (lots of lies I would imagine), and start to realize that you don't have to listen to your mind.

You do have control over your life. And the more you start taking control, the easier it will be.

2 Comments:

At August 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM , Anonymous Bring Back Pluto said...

The mind does seem impossible to control sometimes, but it actually is. However, it is not an easy thing to do. Support is often needed.

Thank you for sharing.

Bring Back Pluto
"ONE of THE GUYS"

 
At August 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Linda said...

I thing people do need support of some kind---spiritual, self-help groups, friends---something to be able to quit.

I know support groups are very helpful to many people. Some people aren't helped by those groups and need something else. Whatever way you can quit is the key.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home