Saturday, April 4, 2009

You Know You're a Drunk When.....

You know how the jokes begins: You know you’re a redneck if … Or, you know you’re from New York if ….
Well, it’s no joke if you know you’re a drunk. Or suspect you are. Or want to print this out and anonymously send it to a friend who is a drunk. Take it from me, a former drunk.

You know you’re a drunk when …
• You really “need” a drink.
• You “have” to drink every day.
• You can’t remember saying no to “just one more.”
• You drink to avoid even the thought of withdrawal.
• You are fondest of places (like bars) where you can always get a drink.
• You are always thinking about that next drink.

Are you a drunk? Quit. I did. “I Quit” is the name of the book I wrote on quitting booze, cigarettes and overeating (www.dovelinpublishing.com).
Was it easy? No. I’m just an ordinary person who took an honest look at myself.
It wasn’t pretty. It wasn’t pleasant. I asked for help from my family. I gave up “friendships” and stayed away from bars. I asked for help from a higher power. I did not do it alone.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. I’m free of my addictions.
Being a drunk is not a joke, and neither is quitting.
But I did it. You can, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home