Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fighting an Addiction Is Useless

I don't think fighting something like an addiction is ever going to work in the long run. We're taught that that's exactly what we have to do to get rid of something in our lives but from my experience, it doesn't work.

When I quit drinking over 21 years ago I never fought thoughts that came up. I made the decision ahead of time that I was done with drinking, so I never went through that stage. I'm glad I didn't because if I'd have had to fight the feelings and thoughts about drinking, I know that alcohol would have won out.

Same thing with overeating and smoking. I gently let those addictions go. Well, with the food thing, it was more of a surrendering---I was 16 years old and I bawled my eyes out to God asking that if He were real, then HE would have to take the addiction away from me. He did from that day forward.

So I know that the conventional wisdom is to fight the thing you don't want anymore in your life---in this example your addiction---I say and KNOW, it doesn't work. Oh, it might work for awhile, but it will eventually catch up to you and your addiction will probably win.

So give up the fight. I love and firmly believe in the phrase "What you resist, persists."

4 Comments:

At March 22, 2009 at 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What works for one does not work for all.
--

I know people who have fought and their addictions have won. I know people who have fought, their addictions have won and they are now dead.

And it is that same thinking of 'fighting an addiction is useless' that got them there.

Fighting an addiction is not useless. It is fighting that keeps you healthy and alive.

I know people who have fought and they are sober. I know people who are still fighting and they are sober. I know people who have fought, are fighting and now they are fighting for others.

And it is that fighting power these people have that allow them to inspire misguided addicts with a newfound respect for life; so that one day, they can fight too.

 
At March 25, 2009 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anonymous....you have your views and I have mine. I was writing about my view in my blog. Overall I think if you fight something all your life, you won't win in the long run. My opinion, and I appreciate yours.

 
At March 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My opinion it is useless to fight an addiction. It is best to overcome the addiction by recognizing the addiction, making a decision about the addiction (quit or conntinue) and then acquiring the necessary tools to manage that decision daily without a struggle. The only time you are fighting the addiction is when you are using the substance you are addicted to, or participating in the behavior that you are addicted too.

While different things can work for different people, the best thing to do is quit your addiction and then learn how to deal with staying quit. The fight is when you are unable to quit.

 
At March 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ anonoymous.....wonderful post! I agree.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home