Sunday, April 12, 2009

Don't Live By Your Feelings

I went to a lecture yesterday and I heard the words "don't live by your feelings because you'll never have the life you want." I thought of my situation, having overcome 3 addictions.....yes I got over 3 addictions but I now must stay off (for me) alcohol, cigarettes and junk food.

The other day I was walking out of a store and I saw someone smoking a cigarette close to the door of the store. I smelled the cigarette and it smelled fantastic. Now if I'd have done what I "felt like" I wanted to do, I would have smoked a cigarette. But I made the committment a long time ago that I was done with cigarettes so within 2 seconds that thought was out of my head and I went on my way. But I remember thinking at that time how easy it would be for so many people to just decide to give in and have the cigarette because they felt like it.

Same thing with alcohol. I've seen so many people quit drinking for a year or 2 then something comes up in their lives that is difficult so they go back to the bottle, knowing they can quit any time they want. And the game starts all over again.

So I say don't live by your feelings. Decide what it is you want to do and do it. The good news too about deciding what you want and/or what you're going to do is that since the decision was made, there's no room for indecision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home